ICCTA Action Alert
Nov. 6, 2002
2002 General Election Summary
Good showing for Democrats
Illinois voters bucked the national trend yesterday, electing Democrats to four of
the five statewide constitutional offices -- including Rod Blagojevich, the first
Democrat to win the Governor's office in 30 years.
Democrats also seized control of the Illinois General Assembly, winning the
majority of seats in the Illinois Senate and increasing their hold on the Illinois
House of Representatives. This marks the first time in 26 years that Democrats
will control both the governor's office and the Legislature.
Several House and Senate races are still too close to call but will not affect
the balance of power in next year's General Assembly. Governor-elect Blagojevich
will be sworn into office on Monday, January 13, 2003.
Bad showing for college referenda
Voters expressed considerable anti-tax sentiment at the polls, as only two of the
nine community college referenda on the Nov. 5 ballot were approved:
Illinois Valley Community College
* 12.5-cent increase in the Education Fund tax rate -- Defeated
* 2.5-cent increase in the Operations and Maintenance Fund tax rate -- Defeated
* Authority to sell $16 million in bonds -- Defeated
College of DuPage
* 3-cent increase in the Education Fund tax rate -- Defeated
* Authority to sell $183 million in bonds -- PASSED
Waubonsee Community College
* Authority to sell $67 million in bonds -- PASSED
* 5-cent increase in the Operations and Maintenance Fund tax rate -- Defeated
Joliet Junior College
* 2-cent increase in the Operations and Maintenance Fund tax rate -- Defeated
* Authority to sell $252 million in bonds -- Defeated
Fall veto session
The current General Assembly will return to Springfield for its fall veto session on November 19 - 21
and December 3 - 5. Although no community college issues are on the agenda, ICCTA will maintain its
presence at the Capitol and report on any late-breaking developments affecting higher education.
For additional information on state legislative issues,
contact ICCTA at 1-800-454-2282.
Illinois Community College Trustees Association|
401 E. Capitol Ave., Suite 200
Springfield, IL 62701-1711
| Home | News
| Events | Links |